It is currently Apr 27th, '24, 10:39

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

New Applicants: Please register and login to access the guild application form.

Post subject: Vaerghul
PostPosted: Dec 23rd, '13, 20:18 
Applicant

Character Full-Name and Titles::
Vaerghul (living name forgotten)

Character Race and Class::
Forsaken Mage

Why does your character wish to join Blackguard? If the answer is "gold", tell us why gold matters to them.:
Vaerghul wishes to earn gold, but more so he wishes to grow in power, knowledge and influence. Since gold can buy a little of each, that is his interest in it. He remembers little of his former life as a human, and rather than learning who he was, he wishes to become someone else. His new unlife is a fresh start, and he doesn't intend to waste it. Though feeling comfortable in the Undercity, he understands that complacency would be the true death for one of his kind, and so he has resolved to go out and explore the world. His hope is to find likeminded individuals to provide safety in numbers, teaching and support as he grows to be as powerful as he knows he deserves to be.

Describe your character's past. Where did they grow up? How did they learn their trade? What kind of work history do they have? Whatever you think is relevant to who they are – but aim for at least 3 full lines.:
Most of Vaerghul's past is a mystery to him. Given where he was raised and his appearance, he believes himself to be a former human of Lordaeron, but he could just have easily have come there from elsewhere. The brief flashes of memory he has imply to him that he was always magically gifted, but it is the cold of the grave that now suffuses his power. By contrast he is comparatively new to the study of alchemy, having taken it up after seeing the wonders (in a sense) of the Forsaken's use of it. He is confident that his new people are masters of the art and will teach him well.

Tell us about your character's skillset. What can they do that would be valuable to a mercenary company?:
Vaerghul would likely act primarily in a support role within the company. Obviously his powers can be useful in battle, but so can those of any number of others. What he has that some don't are arcane and alchemical abilities that can make life easier for the rest of the Blackguard. For example, he will soon be able to open portals for ambushes, he can accentuate the abilities of other fighters with potions and elixirs, he can distract and control enemies with his frost magic and so on.

What are your character's feelings regarding the other Horde races?:
Other Forsaken are obviously fine with Vaerghul, as he is trying to learn his place within this new people. He does not look down on tauren or their naturalistic beliefs, but they are rather irrelevant to him as he believes himself to now be outside the natural order. Troll magic and belief is a little more familiar to him as it has a darker, more ritualistic tone, but it is still mostly separate to his own style. He feels a certain affinity with blood elves because they share his love of arcane power. He respects the strength of the orcs, the tenacity of the goblins and the level-headedness of the pandaren, but has not had a great deal of personal interaction with any of them.

Old enemies, old loyalties - does your character have them? Who with?:
Since he was given his chance at a new life (sort of) by the agents of Sylvanas, and particularly by the val'kyr, he is loyal both to the Banshee Queen and to that specific segment of her followers. That said, despite his acceptance of his new situation, Vaerghul does harbour some resentment towards the human kingdom for allowing him to die in such a way in the first place. Finally, the current situation with Garrosh has caused him to distrust any orcs in authority, but not to an extreme degree.

Finally, write a quick paragraph, describing your character doing something typical to them. (This is to help us get a feel for how you play, so make it something you might type in RP.):
Mumbling to himself as he looks over his notes, Vaerghul fumbles around for the tonic he needs. After a moment of not feeling the correct flask, he turns to look upon the workbench, momentarily startling himself with the sight of his own grey, lifeless hand. The Forsaken grimaces for a moment, inspecting his pallid flesh morosely. Seconds later, however, he regains his composure by dipping his hand directly into a bowl of acid that had been bubbling unsettlingly nearby. He removes the remnants of the herbs he had set to dissolve there without need for gloves, grinning victoriously at the benefits of his new form as he finally discovers the sought for container. Now adding the tonic to the herbal remains, Vaerghul's corpse grin stretches wider while watching the fruits of his labour bloom before him. This elixir would be his greatest work. Until tomorrow, of course.

Blackguard deals with mature themes and content. Please confirm you, the player, are over 18.:
Yes

Why do you wish to join Blackguard?:
I'm looking for a welcoming social guild to help me level up, learn how to outfit myself properly and hopefully get to the stage where I can do high level dungeons and raids confidently. Along the way I'd like to engage in some worthwhile roleplay and be around friendly and interesting people. I'm hoping the Blackguard fits the bill.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Hobbies, job, talents, accomplishments, whatever you're comfortable sharing.:
I studied Game Programming in university and am currently working as a freelance coder and games journalist. Beyond the pretty obvious hobby of gaming, I also enjoy martial arts and read books and watch films probably too much for my own good. I've not played WoW a whole lot, so some of the higher level raiding concepts and so on will be new to me, but I'm a pretty quick learner and I'm not offended by constructive criticism.

Tell us about your background in roleplay.:
I actually used to work for a company that made roleplaying enforced text-based MMOs, so heavy RP is pretty familiar to me. Additionally, I have been (and am at the moment) involved in a number of tabletop roleplaying games across different systems. I'm pretty comfortable coming up with and interacting with characters, and I like to think I enable other people's fun as much as seeking my own.

OfflineProfile
 Post subject: Re: Vaerghul
PostPosted: Dec 23rd, '13, 21:37 
Lieutenant

'lo there Vaerghul.
Thank you for your application! Things are a tad quiet for our lot these days with the holidays and such, but we'll get back to you soon as time allows. :)

OfflineProfile
 Post subject: Re: Vaerghul
PostPosted: Jan 6th, '14, 23:27 
Captain

Hey there Vaerghul!

Holiday hiatus season is winding down, activity is resuming - the app looks solid, and while we're iffy about taking on more magic users, we do have a fondness for old Horde races. If you're still looking for a guild, poke us to set up an in game meeting and lets see how he gets along with the Rats.

OfflineProfile