It is currently Apr 27th, '24, 19:56

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

New Applicants: Please register and login to access the guild application form.

Post subject: Farnum
PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '14, 16:24 
Rat

Character Full-Name and Titles::
Tallisker F. Grimes

Character Race and Class::
Undead Mage

Why does your character wish to join Blackguard? If the answer is "gold", tell us why gold matters to them.:
Farnum could best be described as an amoral libertarian with a need to exorcise his craft, interests and a steady income of gold without being told by anyone not to do either. He is a deadpan snarker that very much so realises that being undead and alone does not go very well hand in hand, lest a holier-than-thou crusader decides to smite you or a mad supremacist targets you for treason. He make friends without any judgement, expects the same treatment and having heard of the Blackguard, he sees no reason why they wouldn't fit each and every of his needs. He holds no issue taking orders, but as a Forsaken, duty is it's own reward, and he have a hard time stomaching that, figuratively speaking.

Describe your character's past. Where did they grow up? How did they learn their trade? What kind of work history do they have? Whatever you think is relevant to who they are – but aim for at least 3 full lines.:
Tallisker F. Grimes, ironically often referred to as just Farnum, was born and raised in Dalaran. While his name would be of Gilnean origin, he alwas did identify himself as a Dalaran citizen, having had family settling in the Magocratic City-State some five generations previous to his birth. With a mother being an upcoming magi and a father that enlisted in the guard, the young Farnum would come to follow in his parents footsteps, one foot on each road. Consequently he never fully explored the wizarding way of the Arcane and rather settled for the in-between, classified as a Battle-mage of the soldiery of Dalaran.

Somewhere in his late forties The Third War came to Dalaran and he, like most of the city, was torn asunder by the Scourge and then the Legion's resurgence. The following time can only be recollected as an abyssal maze, swept in a grey haze and murky mist. He does not remember much from his time as a fiend of the scourge. Like most of his misbegotten kin, he elevated the Dark Lady to impossible heights upon being liberated and came to serve the Forsaken. His tenure as a truly loyal Forsaken was somewhat brief, however. He enlisted in the Royal Apothecary Society, working short periods for the Research and Development branch, but enjoying the duties under Implantation far more. Feeling less restricted in the more open world and outside of the scrutinizing stares of the Executors, Farnum sought to places like Northrend and Outland, and just previously Pandaria as working outside of the Forsaken reach would grant him a greater leeway to simply be and exorcise his own whims. As the first stages of depression and grating hatred subsided, Farnum, ever the pragmatist, found that he had to work with what he had. He did not enjoy the supremacist views of his kinsmen and the ever lingering "woe is me" mentality. Travelling became a commodity and eventually an addiction. He found that putting his Alchemical training to trade served him well and found kinship around goblins and pirates. Eventually he would have to return to Undercity, where he found himself more and more aghast at the incompetent desire for his kinsmen to serve and with it loathing for them.

Since then the apothecary has become something of a wayward. Quite obviously still undead and with the more amoral quirks that comes with that, he recently severed his final ties to the Forsaken by stealing from the Society and hauling his behind to Booty Bay where he has since been looking for a more open minded place to settle.

Tell us about your character's skillset. What can they do that would be valuable to a mercenary company?:
An Apothecary by training and with a skill set of blade and frost magic, Farnum would serve as an excellent addition for anything to supplying the company with potions to trading to having heads go bouncing across the floor. Often mistaken for the archetypical mage, Farnum is in all actuality a front-line fighter. A swordsman and a damn handy one at that, only utilizing magic as far as his knowledge goes for it, which would be a basic apprehension of the Frost School. Other than that, he can be a handy courier or do guard duties, seeing as rest is a necessity lost on him.

What are your character's feelings regarding the other Horde races?:
Indifferent, barring other undead, especially those persky Forsaken. He finds the concept of blind duty overshadowing the few freedoms a former human would have in his unlife detestable. He does not understand why trolls, orcs, elves, goblins and tauren often pursue their own paths but his kin should be shackled to a Dark Lady and all of her whims and never once bother to question the whys.

Old enemies, old loyalties - does your character have them? Who with?:
Amoral and carefree. "If I could I would" is extremely applicable to Farnum. The world is a dog-eat-dog place and he will steal all the biggest bones if he can. Consequently he expects everybody to do the same and is therefor hard pressed to be insulted or begrudged. Naturally, as has already been covered, he do not mesh well with Forsaken. Other than that, there are no pressing issues of neither friends nor foes.

Finally, write a quick paragraph, describing your character doing something typical to them. (This is to help us get a feel for how you play, so make it something you might type in RP.):
Farnum puts the heavy blade across his lap before reaching for a phial hanging from his belt. He uncorks it and soils a rag with the thick liquid, watching the others talk as he begins to coat the blade with the toxic. He lets out a guffaw as he hears the plan, shaking his bald head.

Farnum perks what might go for an eyebrow, spitting out a thick glob of phglem. He re-adjusts his pose, hands resting on the pommel of his sword. "Piss and vinegar! You'd be better of finding sanctuary in the shadowy confines of a mammoth's woolly arse rather than taking on five of them, believe you me."

Blackguard deals with mature themes and content. Please confirm you, the player, are over 18.:
Yes

Why do you wish to join Blackguard?:
Simply put? It looks fantastic. I read your OOC rules and they are right up my alley. I will be honest, and should on of them come by, I will not deny it upon being probed; but I am currently in the Rotgarde, and while the RP might be good the OOC atmosphere leaves me wanting. I don't want to go into it, but I find it juvenile and the constant use of words like fag and a constant OOC jabbering going on during RP leaves me wanting. I can't relax and I feel like an old sap around the chat even though I am 22. I don't find it too much to ask that people act civil, and you lot, while seemingly having an excellent guild concept actually seem, well, civil. Yes, I can be a loud mouthed kid around my RL friends during a moba game, but petulant childishness around people that I don't have any RL interaction with do abstain my will to RP.

So, to clarify, I am not applying here just because I have a hard time with their atmosphere, and I am not saying they are bad Rpers nor that they are all horrible, but it does not fit me, and would I have seen the Blackguard earlier (I recently joined this server coming from DB) I would most likely have applied right away.
It also helped that you listed stuff like Firefly and Sons of Anarchy in there as inspirations. A big favourite of Deadwood myself and have find it one of my personal RP inspirations!

I have no good explenation, I'm afraid, other than that I love the guild concept and I dig the maturity of how you describe the OOC conduct. (Yes, I do enjoy stupid humour, still.)

For clarification, would you want me, this is not the same character that is currently in The Rotgarde.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Hobbies, job, talents, accomplishments, whatever you're comfortable sharing.:
I'm a full blooded 22 year old swede with a love for running rampant with imagination. I live in the south eastern parts where I am currently working as a train conductor. This is something I would like to address, as RL is important to me, and while I do realise you expect a certain amount of commitment from your members I was hoping we could find even ground. My work dictates that I will some times be working late nights for six days, and some weeks incredibly early, rendering me very tired early in the evening. However, there will be times when you will see me seemingly just playing constantly. This is due to my work schedule etc. I mainly play for the RP and is currently quite interested in going through WoD, so you will never find me going on raids or somesuch rather than playing with the guild. We all got RL, and I expect you, just as much as me some times have other things that need attending.

In my spare time I enjoy writing music, writing fiction, playing stuff like Warhammer, 40k, Munchkin, working out and drinking coffee. And of course, avid fan of RP.

Tell us about your background in roleplay.:
I started RPing in 2005/06 when the server Defias Brotherhood went live and spent many years there honing my understanding of RP and as such spent a long time there going from a horrible noob into something that might to some be described as an Elitist. I personally just prefer to see it as understanding the lore, enjoy the freedoms you have within the confines of the setting and utilize the tools given that servers the story. There is fun in limitations. RP to me is not about you, it's about the story. Apparently, I am an avid fan of kicking the shit out of my characters. I am ranting, I realise.

So, barring that, I have done some Forum RP, Skype RP, SWToR RP, GW2 RP and even a wee bit of Wildstar RP.

So, if I missed anything or you see an issue, please tell me, and if you are actually not recruiting at the moment, well, too bad. I'll try to re-apply when you are.
Thanks for reading!

OfflineProfile
 Post subject: Re: Farnum
PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '14, 19:49 
Lieutenant

With the application read and ingame conversations had, I'm gonna go ahead and officially bump this app to the IC meetup stage. Hope to see you on Thursday!

OfflineProfile